Computer Search for Counterexamples to Wilkie’s Identity
Tarski raised the High School Problem, i.e., whether a set of 11 identities (denoted by HSI) serves as a basis for all the identities which hold for the natural numbers. It was answered by Wilkie in the negative, who gave an identity which holds for the natural numbers but cannot be derived from HSI. This paper describes some computer searching efforts which try to find a small model of HSI rejecting Wilkie’s identity. The experimental results show that such a model has at least 11 elements. Some experiences are reported, and some issues are discussed.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Burris, S., Yeats, K.: The saga of the high school identities, Algebra Universalis (to appear)Google Scholar
- 3.Claessen, K., Sörensson, N.: New techniques that improve MACE-style finite model finding. In: Model Computation – Principles, Algorithms, Applications, CADE-19 Workshop W4, Miami, Florida, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Gurevič, R.: Equational theory of positive numbers with exponentiation. In: Proc. Amer. Math. Soc., vol. 94, pp. 135–141 (1985)Google Scholar
- 6.McCune, W.: MACE 2.0 reference manual and guide, Technical Memorandum ANL/MCS-TM-249, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, USA (May 2001)Google Scholar
- 7.McCune, W.: Mace4 Reference Manual and Guide, Technical Memorandum No. 264, Argonne National Laboratory, Argonne, IL, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Slaney, J.K.: The crisis in finite mathematics: Automated reasoning as cause and cure. In: Proc. 12th Int’l Conf. on Automated Deduction (CADE-12), pp. 1–13 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Tammet, T.: Finite model building: improvements and comparisons. In: Model Computation – Principles, Algorithms, Applications, CADE-19 Workshop W4, Miami, Florida, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 11.Zhang, J.: The Generation and Applications of Finite Models, PhD thesis, Institute of Software, Chinese Academy of Sciences, Beijing (1994)Google Scholar
- 12.Zhang, J.: Problems on the generation of finite models. In: Proc. of the 12th Int’l Conf. on Automated Deduction CADE-12. LNCS (LNAI), vol. 814, pp. 753–757 (1994)Google Scholar
- 14.Zhang, J., Zhang, H.: SEM: a System for Enumerating Models. In: Proc. of the 14th Int’l Joint Conf. on Artif. Intel. IJCAI-95, pp. 298–303 (1995)Google Scholar