Exploring Similarity Measures for Biometric Databases
Currently biometric system performance is evaluated in terms of its FAR and FRR. The accuracy expressed in such a manner depends on the characteristics of the dataset on which the system has been tested. Using different datasets for system evaluation makes a true comparison of such systems difficult, more so in cases where the systems are designed to work on different biometrics, such as fingerprint and signature. We propose a similarity metric, calculated for a pair of fingerprint templates, which will quantize the “confusion” of a fingerprint matcher in evaluating them. We show how such a metric, can be calculated for an entire biometric database, to give us the amount of difficulty a matcher has, when evaluating fingerprints from that database. This similarity metric can be calculated in linear time, making it suitable for large datasets.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Grandidier, F., Sabourin, R., Yacoubi, A.E., Gilloux, M., Suen, C.Y.: Influence of Word Length on Handwriting Recognition. In: Proc. Fifth International Conference on Document Analysis and Recognition (Septmeber 1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Xue, H., Govindaraju, V.: On the dependence of Handwritten Word Recognisers on Lexicons. IEEE Transactions on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 24(12) (December 2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Bolle, R.M., Pankanti, S., Ratha, N.K.: Evaluation techniques for biometricbased authentication systems (FRR)Google Scholar
- 4.Marti, U.-V., Bunke, H.: On the influence of Vocabulary Size and Language Models in Unconstrained Handwritten Text Recognition. IEEE Proceedings 0-7695-1263-1/01Google Scholar
- 5.Nagakawa, S., Murase, I.: Relationship between Phoneme Recognition Rate, Perplexity and Sentence Recognition and Comparision of Language Models. IEEE Proceedings 0-7803-0532-9/92Google Scholar
- 6.Bolle, R.M., Ratha, N.K., Pankanti, S.: Evaluating Authentication Systems Using Bootstrap Confidence IntervalsGoogle Scholar
- 7.Khanna, R., Shen, W.: Automated Fingerprint Identification System (AFIS) Benchmarking Using National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) Special Database 4. IEEE Proceedings 0-7803. 1479-4/94Google Scholar
- 8.Marti, U.-V., Bunke, H.: Unconstrained Handwriting Recognition: Language Models, Perplexity, and System Performance. In: Schomaker, L.R.B., Vuurpijl, L.G. (eds.) Proceedings of the Seventh International Workshop on Frontiers in Handwriting Recognition (September 2000) ISBN 90-76942-01-3Google Scholar
- 9.Cappelli, R., Maio, D., Maltoni, D.: Synthetic Fingerprint-Database Generation. IEEE Proceedings 1051-4651/02Google Scholar
- 10.Pankanti, S., Prabhakar, S., Jain, A.K.: On the Individuality of Fingerprints. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 24(8) (2002)Google Scholar