Fingerprint Quality Indices for Predicting Authentication Performance
The performance of an automatic fingerprint authentication system relies heavily on the quality of the captured fingerprint images. In this paper, two new quality indices for fingerprint images are developed. The first index measures the energy concentration in the frequency domain as a global feature. The second index measures the spatial coherence in local regions. We present a novel framework for evaluating and comparing quality indices in terms of their capability of predicting the system performance at three different stages, namely, image enhancement, feature extraction and matching. Experimental results on the IBM-HURSLEY and FVC2002 DB3 databases demonstrate that the global index is better than the local index in the enhancement stage (correlation of 0.70 vs. 0.50) and comparative in the feature extraction stage (correlation of 0.70 vs. 0.71). Both quality indices are effective in predicting the matching performance, and by applying a quality-based weighting scheme in the matching algorithm, the overall matching performance can be improved; a decrease of 1.94% in EER is observed on the FVC2002 DB3 database.
KeywordsQuality Index Authentication System Fingerprint Image Matching Performance Enhancement Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Tabassi, E., Wilson, C., Watson, C.: Fingerprint Image Quality. NIST research report NISTIR7151 (August 2004)Google Scholar
- 2.Bolle, R., et al.: System and methods for determing the quality of fingerprint images. United Sates patent number US596356 (1999)Google Scholar
- 4.Shen, L., Kot, A., Koo, W.: Quality measures of fingerprint images. In: Audio- and Video-based Biometric Person Authentication (2001)Google Scholar
- 5.Ratha, N., Bolle, R.: Fingerprint image quality estimation. IBM computer science research report RC21622 (1999)Google Scholar
- 6.Lim, E., Jiang, X., Yau, W.: Fingerprint quality and validity analysis. IEEE International Conference on Image Processing 1, 469–472 (2002)Google Scholar
- 7.Rosenfeld, A., Kak, A.: Digital Picture Processing. Academic Press, London (1982)Google Scholar
- 8.Hong, L., Jain, A., Pankanti, S., Bolle, R.: Fingerprint Enhancement. In: IEEE Workshop on Applications of Computer Vision, pp. 202–207 (1996)Google Scholar
- 9.Hong, L., Wan, Y., Jain, A.: Fingerprint Image Enhancement: Algorithms and Performance Evaluation. IEEE Transactions on PAMI 20(8), 777–789 (1998)Google Scholar
- 11.Maltoni, D., Cappelli, R., Wayman, J., Jain, A.: FVC 2002: Second Fingerprint Verification Competition. In: International Conference on Pattern Recognition, vol. 3, pp. 811–814 (2002)Google Scholar