Synergy of Performance-Based Model and Cognitive Trait Model in DP-ITS
Information about the student in student model is the basis for virtual learning environments to provide the necessary adaptation. Cognitive Trait Model (CTM) profiles the student based on cognitive traits, such as his/her working memory capacity and inductive reasoning ability. Performance-based adaptation can guide the student to the required concept, whereas cognitive support serves to prevent the student’s cognitive overload while still representing sufficient challenges to the student. This paper describes the synergy of a performance-based student model and CTM in an intelligent tutoring system called DP-ITS.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Devedžić, V.: Knowledge Modeling – State of the Art. Integrated Computer-Aided Engineering 8(3), 257–281 (2001)Google Scholar
- 2.Huai, H.: Cognitive style and memory capacity: effects of concept mapping as a learning method. Doctoral Thesis, Twente University, The Netherlands (2000)Google Scholar
- 3.Jeremić, Z., Devedžić, V.: Student Modeling in Design Pattern ITS. In: Proc. of the 8th International Conference on Knowledge-Based Intelligent Information and Engineering Systems, Wellington, New Zealand, pp. 299–305 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Lin, T., Kinshuk, D., Patel, A.: Cognitive Trait Model - A Supplement to Performance Based Student Models. In: Proc. of International Conference on Computers in Education 2003, Hong Kong, pp. 629–632 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Lin, T., Kinshuk: Dichotomic Node Network and Cognitive Trait Model. In: Proceedings of the 4th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, Joensuu, Finland, pp. 702–704 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Mitrovic, A., Ohlsson, S.: Evaluation of a Constraint-Based Tutor for a Database Language. International Journal on Artificial Intelligence in Education 10, 238–256 (1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Staff, C.: HyperContext: A Framework for Adaptive and Adaptable Hypertext. PhD Thesis, University of Sussex (2001)Google Scholar