Region-Based Image Clustering and Retrieval Using Multiple Instance Learning
Multiple Instance Learning (MIL) is a special kind of supervised learning problem that has been studied actively in recent years. We propose an approach based on One-Class Support Vector Machine (SVM) to solve MIL problem in the region-based Content Based Image Retrieval (CBIR). This is an area where a huge number of image regions are involved. For the sake of efficiency, we adopt a Genetic Algorithm based clustering method to reduce the search space. Relevance Feedback technique is incorporated to provide progressive guidance to the learning process. Performance is evaluated and the effectiveness of our retrieval algorithm is demonstrated in comparative studies.
KeywordsGenetic Algorithm Image Retrieval Image Region Relevance Feedback Query Result
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Schölkopf, B., Platt, J.C., et al.: Estimating the Support of a High-dimensional Distribution. Microsoft Research Corporation Technical Report MSR-TR-99-87 (1999)Google Scholar
- 2.Rui, Y., Huang, T.S., Mehrotra, S.: Content-based Image Retrieval with Relevance Feedback in MARS. In: Proc. of the Intl. Conf. on Image Processing, pp. 815–818 (1997)Google Scholar
- 3.Carson, C., Belongie, S., Greenspan, H., Malik, J.: Blobworld: Image Segmentation Using Expectation-Maximization and Its Application to Image Querying. IEEE Trans. on Pattern Analysis and Machine Intelligence 24(8) (2002)Google Scholar
- 5.Maron, O., Lozano-Perez, T.: A Framework for Multiple Instance Learning. Advances in Natural Information Processing System 10. MIT Press, Cambridge (1998)Google Scholar
- 6.Chen, Y., Zhou, X., Tomas, S., Huang, T.S.: One-Class SVM for Learning in Image Retrieval. In: Proc. of IEEE International Conf. on Image Processing (2001)Google Scholar
- 7.Huang, X., Chen, S.-C., Shyu, M.-L., Zhang, C.: User Concept Pattern Discovery Using Relevance Feedback and Multiple Instance Learning for Content-Based Image Retrieval. In: Proc. of the 3rd Intl. Workshop on Multimedia Data Mining (MDM/KDD 2002), pp. 100–108 (2002)Google Scholar
- 8.Holland, J.H.: Adaptation in Natural and Artificial Systems. University of Michigan Press, Ann Arbor (1975)Google Scholar
- 9.Vladimir, E.C., Murray, A.T.: Spatial Clustering for Data Mining with Genetic Algorithms. Technical Report FIT-TR-97-10, Queensland University of Technology, Faculty of Information Management (September 1997)Google Scholar
- 10.Gondra, I., Heisterkamp, D.R.: Adaptive and Efficient Image Retrieval with One-Class Support Vector Machines for Inter-Query Learning. WSEAS Transactions on Circuits and Systems 3(2), 324–329 (2004)Google Scholar