The Contribution of External Features to Face Recognition
In this paper we propose a face recognition algorithm that combines internal and external information of face images. Most of the previous works dealing with face recognition use only internal face features to classify, not considering the information located at head, chin and ears. Here we propose an adaptation of a top-down segmentation algorithm to extract external features from face images, and then we combine this information with internal features using a modification of the non parametric discriminant analysis technique. In the experimental results we show that the contribution of external features to face classification problems is clearly relevant, specially in presence of occlusions.
KeywordsFace Recognition Linear Discriminant Analysis Face Image Internal Feature Scatter Matrix
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Li, Y., Gong, S., Liddell, H.: Support vector regression and classification based multi-view face detection and recognition. In: IEEE International Conference on Automatic Face and Gesture Recognition (March 2000)Google Scholar
- 7.Howell, J., Lee Giles, C., Tsoi, A.C., Back, A.D.: Face recognition: A convolutional neural network approach. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks 8(1), 98–113 (1998)Google Scholar
- 8.Jarudi, N., Sinha, P.: Relative Contributions of Internal and External Features to Face Recognition. Massachusetts Institute of technology (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Fisher, R.: The use of multiple measurements in taxonomic problems. Ann. Eugenics 7, 179–188 (1936)Google Scholar
- 13.Borenstein, E., Ullman, S.: Class-Specific, Top-Down Segmentation. In: Proceedings of the 7th European Conference on Computer Vision-Part II, Springer, Heidelberg (2002)Google Scholar
- 14.Martinez, A., Benavente, R.: The AR face database. Computer Vision Center. Technical Report #24 (June 1998)Google Scholar
- 15.Gross, R., Shi, J., Cohn, J.: Quo vadis Face Recognition?, Carnegie Mellon University. Technical report CMU-RI-TR-01-17Google Scholar