Contour-Based Image Registration Using Mutual Information
Image registration is a problem that arises in many image processing applications whenever information from two or more scenes have to be aligned. In image registration the use of an adequate measure of alignment is a crucial issue. Current techniques are classified in two broad categories: area based and feature based. All methods include some similarity measure. In this paper a new measure that combines mutual information ideas, spatial information and feature characteristics, is proposed. Edge points are used as features, obtained from a Canny edge detector. Feature characteristics like location, edge strength and orientation are taken into account to compute a joint probability distribution of corresponding edge points in two images. Mutual information based on this function is minimized to find the best alignment parameters. The approach has been tested with a collection of portal images taken in real cancer treatment sessions, obtaining encouraging results.
KeywordsMutual Information Image Registration Edge Point Joint Probability Distribution Canny Edge Detector
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Langmack, A.: Portal Imaging. Br. J. Radiol. 74, 789–804 (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Plattard, D., Soret, M., Troccaz, J., Vassal, P., Giraud, J., Champleboux, G., Artignan, X., Bolla, M.: Patient Set-Up using Portal Images: 2D/2D Image Registration Using Mutual Information. Computer Aided Surgery, 246–262 (2000)Google Scholar
- 8.Chmielewski, L., Kukolowicz, P.F., Gut, P., Dabrowski, A.: Assesment of the quality of radiotherapy with the use of portal and simulation images – the method and the software. Journal of Medical Informatics & Technologies 3, 171–179 (2002)Google Scholar
- 10.Borgefors, G.: Hierarchical chamfer matching: a parametric edge matching algorithm. IEEE Trans PAMI 10, 849–865 (1988)Google Scholar
- 13.Rangarajan, A., Chui, H., Duncan, J.: Rigid point feature registration using mutual information. Medical Image Analysis 4, 1–17 (1999)Google Scholar
- 16.Canny, J.F.: A Computational Approach to Edge Detection. IEEE TPAMI 8, 679–698 (1986)Google Scholar