IWTrust: Improving User Trust in Answers from the Web
Question answering systems users may find answers without any supporting information insufficient for determining trust levels. Once those question answering systems begin to rely on source information that varies greatly in quality and depth, such as is typical in web settings, users may trust answers even less. We address this problem by augmenting answers with optional information about the sources that were used in the answer generation process. In addition, we introduce a trust infrastructure, IWTrust, which enables computations of trust values for answers from the Web. Users of IWTrust have access to sources used in answer computation along with trust values for those source, thus they are better able to judge answer trustworthiness.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Fikes, R., Hayes, P., Horrocks, I.: DAML Query Language (DQL) Abstract Specification. Technical report, W3C (2002)Google Scholar
- 3.Fikes, R., Jenkins, J., Frank, G.: JTP: A System Architecture and Component Library for Hybrid Reasoning. Technical Report KSL-03-01, Knowledge Systems Laboratory, Stanford University, Stanford, CA, USA (2003)Google Scholar
- 4.McGuinness, D.L., da Silva, P.P.: Registry-based support for information integration. In: Kambhampati, S., Knoblock, C. (eds.) Proceedings of IJCAI 2003’s Workshop on Information Integration on the Web IIWeb 2003, Acapulco, Mexico, August 2003, pp. 117–122 (2003)Google Scholar
- 5.McGuinness, D.L., da Silva, P.P.: Explaining Answers from the Semantic Web. Journal of Web Semantics 1(4), 397–413 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.McGuinness, D.L., van Harmelen, F.: OWL Web Ontology Language Overview. Technical report, World Wide Web Consortium (W3C), Recommendation, February 10 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.da Silva, P.P., McGuinness, D.L., Fikes, R.E.: A Proof Markup Language for Semantic Web Services. Information Systems (2005) (to appear)Google Scholar
- 8.da Silva, P.P., McGuinness, D.L., McCool, R.: Knowledge Provenance Infrastructure. Data Engineering Bulletin 26(4), 26–32 (2003)Google Scholar
- 9.Wang, Y., Vassileva, J.: Trust-based community formation in peer-to-peer file sharing networks. In: Proc. of IEEE/WIC/ACM International Conference on Web Intelligence (WI 2004), Beijing, China (September 2004)Google Scholar