A Prompt Retransmit Technique to Improve TCP Performance for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks
In addition to research on MANET (Mobile Ad Hoc Networks) routing protocols, efforts to adopt TCP as a reliable transport protocol with some modifications have been made for the smooth integration with the fixed Internet. Basically, the standard TCP depends on the third duplicate ACK in order to retransmit a lost segment. However, when TCP operates on top of reactive routing protocols and is able to distinguish the segments transmitted over the old path from ones transmitted over a new path, TCP performance is improved by retransmitting the lost segment on the first duplicate ACK without waiting for the third duplicate ACK. As a result, it advances retransmission time thanks to our proposed prompt retransmit technique. Simulation work through GloMoSim shows that the prompt retransmit produces better TCP performance than the standard TCP.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Internet Engineering Task Force, Manet working group charter, http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/manet-charter.html
- 2.Clausen, T., Jacquet, P., Laouiti, A., Minet, P., Muhlethaler, P., Qayyum, A., Viennot, L.: Optimized Link State Routing Protocol(OLSR), IETF RFC 3626Google Scholar
- 3.Ogier, R.G., Templin, F.L., Bellur, B., Lewis, M.G.: Topology Broadcast Based on Reverse-Path Forwarding (TBRPF), IETF RFC 3684Google Scholar
- 4.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A., Hu, Y.: The Dynamic Source Routing Protocol for Mobile Ad-hoc Networks (DSR), IETF Internet Draft, draft-ietf-manet-dsr- 08.txt (February 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Perkins, C.E., Belding-Royer, E.M., Das, S.R.: Ad-hoc On-Demand Distance Vector (AODV) Routing. IETF RFC 3561Google Scholar
- 6.Chandran, K., Raghunathan, S., Venkatesan, S., Prakash, R.: A Feedback Based Scheme For Improving TCP Performance In Ad-Hoc Wireless Networks. In: IEEE ICDCS 1998 (1998)Google Scholar
- 7.Holland, G., Vaidya, N.H.: Analysis of TCP Performance over Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. 5th Annual International Conference on Mobile Computing and Networking. In: ACM Mobicom (August 1999)Google Scholar
- 8.Kim, D., Toh, C.-K., Choi, Y.: TCP-BuS: Improving TCP Performance in Wireless Ad Hoc Networks. Journal of Communications and Networks 3(2) (2001)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, J., Singh, S.: ATCP: TCP for Mobile Ad Hoc Networks. IEEE Journal on selected areas in communications 19(7) (July 2001)Google Scholar
- 10.Wang, F., Zhang, Y.: Improving TCP Performance over Mobile Ad-Hoc Networks with Out-of- Order Detection and Response. In: ACM Mobihoc 2002 (June 2002)Google Scholar
- 11.Allman, M., Paxson, V., Stevens, W.: TCP Congestion Control. RFC 2581 (April 1999), http://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc2581.txt