Modelling a Protein Structure Comparison Application on the Grid Using PROTEUS
Bioinformatics applications manage complex biological data stored into distributed and often heterogeneous databases and require large computing power. Among these, protein structure comparison applications exhibit complex workflow structure, access different databases, require high computing power. Thus they could benefit of semantic modelling and Grid infrastructure. We present the modelling and development of the PROuST structure comparison application on the Grid using PROTEUS, a Grid-based Problem Solving Environment.
KeywordsSecondary Structure Hash Table Structural Alignment Activity Diagram Query Protein
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Cannataro, M., Comito, C., Lo Schiavo, F., Veltri, P.: Proteus, a grid-based problem solving environment for bioinformatics: Architecture and experiments. IEEE Computational Intelligence Bulletin 3(1), 7–18 (2004)Google Scholar
- 6.Ferrari, C., Guerra, C., Zanotti, G.: A grid-aware approach to protein structure comparison. Journal of Parallel and Distributed Computing Special issue on High Performance Bionformatics 63 (2003)Google Scholar
- 7.NCBI-National Cancer for Biotechnology Information. Genbank dna sequences, http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/
- 8.Research Collaboratory for Structural Bioinformatics (RCSB). The protein data bank, http://www.rcsb.org/pdb
- 9.Global Grid Forum. Life science grid - research group, http://www.ggf.org/7_APM/LSG_b.htm
- 10.Foster, I., Kesselman, C.: The Grid: Blueprint for a Future Computing Infrastructure. Morgan Kaufmann Publishers, San Francisco (1999)Google Scholar
- 12.University of Manchester. Mygrid, http://mygrid.man.ac.uk/