A New Technique for Local Symmetry Estimation
This paper introduces a new approach to symmetry estimation directly from image grey values. The method was inspired by the local phase based method, proposed by Kovesi. This method is examined in the light of a strict definition of local symmetry, and found to be wanting in two respects: that it is invariant to some apparently non-trivial symmetries and that its scale is ill defined. To avoid these difficulties we propose a non-linear analog of the local phase. This leads to a family of local symmetry measures, able to provide a rich, local characterisation of shape, invariant to rotations and affine intensity transformations, and robust to affine coordinate transformations.
KeywordsRotation Symmetry Interest Point Local Symmetry Local Phase Symmetry Analysis
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Blum, H.: A transformation for extracting new descriptors of shape. In: Wathen-Dunn, W. (ed.) Models for the Perception of Speech and Visual Form, pp. 363–380. MIT Press, Cambridge (1967)Google Scholar
- 5.Kovesi, P.: Symmetry and asymetry from local phase. In: Tenth Australian Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (1997)Google Scholar
- 6.Freeman, W.T., Adelson, E.H.: The design and use of steerable filters. IEEE PAMI 13(9), 891–906 (1991)Google Scholar
- 7.Felsberg, M., Sommer, G.: The monogenic signal. IEEE Trans. Sig. Proc. 49 (2001)Google Scholar
- 8.Katz, R.A., Pizer, S.M.: Untangling the blum medial axis transform. IJCV 55(2/3) (2003)Google Scholar