An Energy Constrained Multi-hop Clustering Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks
A wireless sensor network is a new kind of wireless Ad-Hoc network consisting of a large number of small low cost, power constrained sensors deployed in a large area for gathering information for a large variety of applications. Since sensors are power constrained devices, it is quite important to organize them in some fashion in order to minimize total energy consumption in communication with base station. Clustering sensors into groups, so that sensors communicate information only to respective cluster heads and then cluster heads communicate the aggregated information to the processing center, is such an approach. In this paper, we propose an algorithm to organize sensors into clusters, which tries to extend the lifetime of network by forming balanced clusters as well as minimizing the total energy consumed in communication. In our algorithm, the number of hops is not fixed; rather it depends upon the spatial location of sensors.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Heinzaelman, W., Chandrakasan, A., Balakrishnan, H.: Energy –efficient communication protocol for wireless microsensor networks. In: Proc. of the Hawaii Conf. on System Science (January 2000)Google Scholar
- 2.Raghuwansi, S., Mishra, A.: A self-adaptive clustering based algorithm for increased Energy-efficiency and Scalability in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. IEEE VTC 2003, Florida, October 6-9 (2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Younis, G.G.M.: Load-Balanced Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. IEEE ICC 2003, Anchorage, Alaska (May 2003)Google Scholar
- 4.Gupta, G., Younis, M.: Fault-Tolerance Clustering in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. IEEE WCNC 2003, New Orleans, Louisiana (March 2003)Google Scholar
- 5.Bandyopadhyay, S., Coyle, E.J.: An Energy Efficient Hierarchical Clustering Algorithm for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2003, San Franciso, CA, USA, March 30 - April 3 (2003)Google Scholar
- 6.Wang, L.-C., Wang, C.-W.: A Cross-Layer Design of Clustering Architecture for Wireless Sensor Networks. In: Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE ICNSC, Taipei, Taiwan, March 21-23 (2004)Google Scholar
- 7.Halgamuge, M.N., Guru, S.M., Jennings, A.: Energy Efficient Cluster Formation in Wireless Sensor Networks. In: International Conference on Telecommunication (ICT 2003). IEEE Press, Papeete (2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Tillett, J., Rao, R., Sahin, F., Rao, T.M.: Cluster-head Identification in Ad Hoc Sensor Networks Using Particle Swarm Optimization. In: Proc. of the IEEE International Conference on Personal Wireless Communication (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Liu, J.S., Lin, C.R.: Power Efficiency Clustering Method with Power-Limit Constraint for Sensor networks. In: Proceedings of Workshop on Energy-Efficient Wireless Communications & Networks, EWCN 2003 (2003)Google Scholar
- 10.Cartigny, J., Simplot, D., Stojmenovic, I.: Localized minimum-energy broadcasting in ad-hoc networks. In: Proc. IEEE INFOCOM 2003, San Francisco, USA (2003)Google Scholar