ROBUST DESIGN AND MANAGEMENT OF WATER SYSTEMS: HOW TO COPE WITH RISK AND UNCERTAINTY?
The implications of uncertainty in input data and model parameters are not always understood or considered when designing urban water systems. There is an obvious need to develop design methods that can model uncertainties and produce 'robust' designs. These designs should provide adequate service to customers despite fluctuations in some or all of the design parameters. This paper presents a general methodology for robust design of such systems. The methodology is based on closely integrating reduced Monte- Carlo sampling with multiobjective Genetic Algorithms. An application to the New York Tunnels rehabilitation problem illustrates the effectiveness of the methodology. The results show that the robust design methodology presented here seems to be capable of identifying Pareto optimal fronts for uncertain input variables while achieving significant computational savings when compared to the full MC sampling technique.
KeywordsMonte Carlo Pareto Front Robust Design Water Distribution System Latin Hypercube Sample
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deb, K., Pratap, A., Agarwal, S., and Meyarivan, T. (2000), "A Fast Elitist Non-dominated Sorting Genetic Algorithm for Multi-objective Optimisation: NSGA-II", Report No. 200001, IIT, Kanpur Genetic Algorithms Laboratory, p. 20. Google Scholar
- Goldberg, D.E. (1989), "Genetic Algorithms in Search, Optimisation and Machine Learning", Reading, Massachusetts, Addison-Wesley. Google Scholar
- Kapelan, Z., Savic, D.A. and Walters, G.A. (2003) Robust Least Cost Design of Water Distribution System Using GAs", Proc. CCWI 2003, C. Maksimovic, D. Butler and F.A. Memon (eds.), A.A. Balkema, London (UK), pp147–155. Google Scholar
- Kapelan, Z., Savic, D. A., and Walters, G. A. (2004). "Optimal Rehabilitation of Water Distribution Systems Under Uncertain Demands." 6th Int. Conf. on Hydroinformatics, Singapore, 898–905. Google Scholar
- Korving, H., Van Gelder, P., Van Noortwijk, J., and Clemens, F. (2002b), "Influence of Model Parameter Uncertainties on Decision-making for Sewer System Management", Proc. 5th Int. Conf. on Hydroinformatics, I. D. Cluckie, D. Han, J. P. Davis and S. Heslop, eds., vol. 2, pp.1361–1366. Google Scholar
- Lansey, K.E. 2000. Optimal Design of Water Distribution Systems, in Mays, L.W. (ed.) Water Distribution System Handbook, McGraw-Hill, New York. Google Scholar
- Murphy, L.J., Simpson, A.R., and Dandy, G.C. (1993), "Pipe Network Optimization Using an Improved Genetic Algorithm", Report No. R109, Department of Civ. & Env. Eng, Adelaide. Google Scholar
- Schaake, J., and Lai, D. (1969), "Linear Programming and Dynamic Programming Applications to Water Distribution Network Design", Report No. 116, Dept. of Civil Engineering, MIT. Google Scholar