3D MODELING OF OUTDOOR SCENES FROM OMNIDIRECTIONAL RANGE AND COLOR IMAGES
This paper describes a method for modeling wide area outdoor environments by integrating omnidirectional range and color images. The proposed method efficiently acquires range and color data of outdoor environments by using omnidirectional laser rangefinder and omnidirectional multi-camera system (OMS). In this paper, we also give experimental results of reconstructing our campus from data acquired at 50 points.
KeywordsColor Image Sensor System Range Image Global Coordinate System Outdoor Scene
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.T. Sato, M. Kanbara, N. Yokoya and H. Takemura: “Dense 3-D Reconstruction of an Outdoor Scene by Hundreds-baseline Stereo Using a Hand-held Video Camera,” International Jour. of Computer Vision, Vol. 47, No. 1-3, pp. 119–129, 2002.Google Scholar
- 2.C. Tomasi and T. Kanade: “Shape and Motion from Image Streams under Orthography: A Factorization Method,” International Jour of Computer Vision, Vol. 9, No. 2, pp. 137–154, 1992.Google Scholar
- 4.S. F. El-Hakim, C. Brenner and G. Roth: “A Multi-sensor Approach to Creating Accurate Virtual Environments,” Jour. of Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing, Vol. 53, pp. 379–391, 1998.Google Scholar
- 5.H. Zhao and R. Shibasaki: “Reconstruction of Textured Urban 3D Model by Fusing Ground-Based Laser Range and CCD Images,” IEICE Trans. Inf. & Syst., Vol. E-83-D, No. 7, pp. 1429–1440, 2000.Google Scholar
- 7.C. Früh and A. Zakhor: “Constructing 3D City Models by Merging Aerial and Ground Views,” IEEE Computer Graphics and Applications, Vol. 23, pp. 52–61, 2003.Google Scholar
- 8.S. Ikeda, T. Sato, and N. Yokoya: “Panoramic Movie Generation Using an Omnidirectional Multi-camera System for Telepresence,” Proc. 13th Scandinavian Conf. on Image Analysis, pp. 1074–1081, 2003.Google Scholar
- 10.T. Oishi, R. Sagawa, A. Nakazawa, R. Kurazume and K. Ikeuchi: “Parallel Alignment of a Large Number of Range Images,” Proc. International Conf. on 3D Digital Imaging and Modelling, pp. 195–202, 2003.Google Scholar
- 11.K. Pulli: “Multiview Registration for Large Data Sets,” Proc. International Conf. on 3D Digital Imaging and Modelling, pp. 160–168, 1999.Google Scholar