MORPHOLOGICAL METHOD OF MICROCALCIFICATIONS DETECTION IN MAMMOGRAMS
Detection of microcalcifications (MCs) in mammograms for early breast cancer diagnosing is a widely investigated subject. A number of methods have been tried out so far, but obtained results are still not satisfactory. To avoid difficulties with comparisons of our results with others’, we present results obtained on mammograms from the Digital Database for Screening Mammography (DDSM), provided by the University of South Florida. In this study, a novel approach to MCs detection based on mathematical morphology is presented. A combination of methods is used for the detection of MCs. The evaluation of the proposed technique is done using a free-response operating characteristic (FROC). Our results demonstrate that the MCs can be effectively detected by the proposed approach.
KeywordsGray Level Binary Image Digital Mammography Mathematical Morphology Digital Mammogram
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Nieniewski, M. (1999). Morphological Method for Extraction of Microcalcifications in Mammograms for Breast Cancer Diagnosis (1999). Machine Graphics and Vision, 8(3), 427–448.Google Scholar
- 9.Heath, M. K., D. Bowyer, R. Kopans, R. Moore, and P. Kegelmeyer, Jr. (2000). The Digital Data Base for Screening Mammography. 5th International Workshop on Digital Mammography, 212–218, Toronto, Canada, June 11–14, 2000.Google Scholar
- 10.Chakraborty, D. P. (2000). The FROC, AFROC and DROC Variants of the ROC Analysis. Ed. J. Beutel, H. L. Kundel, and R. L. Van Metter. Handbook of Medical Imaging. vol. 1: Physics and Psychophysics, SPIE Optical Engineering Press, 771–796, Bellingham, WA.Google Scholar
- 11.Ustymowicz, M. and M. Nieniewski (2004). Clustering Microcalcifications in Mammograms by Means of Morphology Based Strategy. 4th Benelux Signal Processing Symposium, 29–32, Hilvarenbeek, The Netherlands, April 15-16. 2004. http://www-ict.its.tudelft.nl/ieeesp/sps2004Google Scholar
- 12.Bruynooghe, M. and C. Messainguiral (2002). Detection of Very Subtle Microcalcification Clusters in High Resolution Full Field X-ray Mammograms. 6th International Workshop on Digital Mammography, 272–275, Bremen, Germany, June 22-25, 2002.Google Scholar
- 13.Lee, R., P. Alberdi, and P. Taylor (2000). A Comparative Study of Four Techniques for Calcification Detection. 5th International Workshop on Digital Mammography, 264–271, Toronto, Canada, June 11-14, 2000.Google Scholar