DSN Deep-Space Array-Based Network Beamformer
NASA is proposing a newreceiving facility that needs to beamform broadband signals from hundreds of antennas. This is a similar problem to SKA beamforming with the added requirement that the processing should not add significant noise or distortion that would interfere with processing spacecraft telemetry data. The proposed solution is based on an FX correlator architecture and uses oversampling polyphase filterbanks to avoid aliasing. Each beamformer/correlator module processes a small part of the total bandwidth for all antennas, eliminating interconnection problems. Processing the summed frequency data with a synthesis polyphase filterbank reconstructs the time series. Choice of suitable oversampling ratio, and analysis and synthesis filters can keep aliasing below −9 dB while keeping the passband ripple low. This approach is readily integrated into the currently proposed SKA correlator architecture.
Keywordsbeamformer correlator Deep Space Network FX correlator filterbank
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Bunton, J.D.: 2000, ‘An Improved FX Correlator’, ALMA memo 342, December 2000, at http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos.Google Scholar
- Bunton, J.D.: 2003, ‘Multi-Resolution FX Correlator’, ALMA Memo 447, http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos/.Google Scholar
- Bunton, J.D.: 2004, ‘SUA Correlator Advances’, Exp. Astron. this issue.Google Scholar
- Chau, E., Sheikhzadeh, H., Brennan, R. and Schneider, T.: 2002, ‘A Subband Beamformer On An Ultra Low-Power Miniature DSP Platform’, 2002 International Conference on Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP’02), May 13–17, 2002 in Orlando, Florida.Google Scholar
- Crochiere, R.E. and Rabiner, L.R.: 1983, Multirate Digital Signal Processing, Prentice-Hall, New Jersey.Google Scholar
- INPR: 2004, ‘Special Issue on Array Developments in the Deep Space Network]rs, in J.H. Yuen (ed.) Vol. 42-157, May 15, 2004, at http://ipnpr.jpl.nasa.gov/progress_report/42-157/title.htm.Google Scholar
- Okamura, S.K., Chikada, Y., Momose, M. and Iguchi, S.: 2001, ‘Feasibility Study of the Enhanced Correlator for 3-way ALMA I.’, ALMA Memo 350, February 2001, at http://www.alma.nrao.edu/memos/.Google Scholar
- Weiss, S., Stewart, R.W., Schabert, M., Proudler, I.K. and Hoffman, M.W.: 1999, ‘An Efficient Scheme for Broadband Adaptive Beamforming’, 33nd Asilomar Conference on Signals, Systems, and Computers, Vol. I: Monterey, CA, pp. 496–500.Google Scholar
- Urry, W.L.: 2000, ‘A Corner Turner Architecture’, ATA imager memo 14, Nov 2000, at http://astron.berkeley.edu/ral/ATAMemo14.pdf.Google Scholar