A Comparison of ICA Algorithms in Biomedical Signal Processing
In the last years Independent Component Analysis (ICA) has been applied with success in signal processing and many algorithms have been developed in order to perform ICA. In this paper we review some algorithms, like INFOMAX (Bell and Sejnowski 1995), extended-INFOMAX (Lee, Girolami and Sejniowski 1997), FastICA (OjA, and Hyvärinen 1999), that solve the ICA problem under the assumption of the linear mixture model. We also show an overview of the nonlinear ICA algorithms and we discuss the MISEP (Almeida 2003). In order to test the performances of the reviewed algorithms, we present some applications of ICA in biomedical signal processing. In particular the application of ICA to the electroencephalographic (EEG) and surface electromyographic (sEMG) recordings are shown.
KeywordsIndependent Component Analysis Neural Networks Artifact Removal sEMG EEG Biomedical Signals
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Almeida L.B.: Faster training in nonlinear ICA using MISEP, in Proc. 4th Int. Sym. on ICA and BSS, pp. 113–118, 2003.Google Scholar
- Azzerboni B., M. Ipsale, F. La Foresta, F.C. Morabito: Common Drive Detection for Axial Muscles Cerebral Control by Neural Network and Coherence Analysis of Surface Electromyography, in Proc. of 1st Int. IEEE EMB Conference on Neural Engineering, pp. 352–355, 2003.Google Scholar
- Delorme A., S. Makeig, T. Sejnowski: Automatic artifact rejection for EEG data using high-order statistics and independent component analysis, in Proc. of the 3rd Int. Workshop on ICA, pp. 457–462, 2001.Google Scholar
- Hyvärinen A., Karhunen J., Oja E.: Independent Component Analysis, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., 2001.Google Scholar
- Jung T., C. Humphries, T.W. Lee, S. Makeig, M.J. McKeown, V. Iragui, T. Sejnowski: Removing Electroencephalographic Artifacts: Comparison between ICA and PCA, Computers in Cardiology, pp. 383–386, 2000.Google Scholar
- Jung T.P., C. Humpries, T.-W. Lee, S. Makeig, M.J. McKeown, V. Iragui, and T. Sejnowski: Extended ICA removes artifacts from electroencephalographic recordings, in Ad. in Neural Information Processing Systems, volume 10, MIT Press, 1998.Google Scholar
- Tey E.T. and S. Puthusserypady: Modified post nonlinear ICA algorithm for large fMRI dataset, in Proc. of the World Congress on Medical Physics and Biomedical Engineering, 2003.Google Scholar