Load forecasting is vitally important for the electric industry in the deregulated economy. It has many applications including energy purchasing and generation, load switching, contract evaluation, and infrastructure development. A large variety of mathematical methods have been developed for load forecasting. In this chapter we discuss various approaches to load forecasting.
KeywordsLoad forecasting statistics regression artificial intelligence
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- B.J. Chen, M.W. Chang, and C.J. Lin. Load Forecasting using Support Vector Machines: A Study on EUNITE Competition 2001. Technical report, Department of Computer Science and Information Engineering, National Taiwan University, 2002.Google Scholar
- H. Chen, C.A. Canizares, and A. Singh. ANN-Based Short-Term Load Forecasting in Electricity Markets. Proceedings of the IEEE Power Engineering Society Transmission and Distribution Conference, 2:411–415, 2001.Google Scholar
- N. Christiani and J.S. Taylor. An Itroduction to Support Vector Machines and Other Kernel-Based Learning Methods. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 2000.Google Scholar
- R.F. Engle, C. Mustafa, and J. Rice. Modeling Peak Electricity Demand. Journal of Forecasting, 11:241–251, 1992.Google Scholar
- E.A. Feinberg, J.T. Hajagos, and D. Genethliou. Load Pocket Modeling. Proceedings of the 2 nd IASTED International Conference: Power and Energy Systems, 50–54, Crete, 2002.Google Scholar
- E.A. Feinberg, J.T. Hajagos, and D. Genethliou. Statistical Load Modeling. Proceedings of the 7 th IASTED International Multi-Conference: Power and Energy Systems, 88–91, Palm Springs, CA, 2003.Google Scholar
- E.A. Feinberg, J.T. Hajagos, B.G. Irrgang, R.J. Rossin, D. Genethliou and D.E. Feinberg. Load pocket forecasting software. Submitted to IASTED Journal on Energy and Power Systems.Google Scholar
- C.W. Gellings. Demand Forecasting for Electric Utilities. The Fairmont Press, Lilburn, GA, 1996.Google Scholar
- A. Khotanzad, R.A. Rohani, and D. Maratukulam. ANNSTLF-Artificial Neural Network Short-Term Load Forecaster-Generation Three. IEEE Transactions on Neural Networks, 13:1413–1422, 1998.Google Scholar
- H. Mori and N. Kosemura. Optimal Regression Tree Based Rule Discovery for Short-Term Load Forecasting. Proceedings of IEEE Power Engineering Society Transmission and Distribution Conference, 2:421–426, 2001.Google Scholar
- S.E. Skarman and M. Georgiopoulous. Short-Term Electrical Load Forecasting using a Fuzzy ARTMAP Neural Network. Proceedings of SPIE, 181–191, 1998.Google Scholar
- H.L. Willis. Spatial Electric Load Forecasting. Marcel Dekker, New York, 1996.Google Scholar