Genetic Programming of an Algorithmic Chemistry
We introduce a new method of execution for GP-evolved programs consisting of register machine instructions. It is shown that this method can be considered as an artificial chemistry. It lends itself well to distributed and parallel computing schemes in which synchronization and coordination are not an issue.
KeywordsMean Square Error Genetic Programming Linear Genetic Programming Register Machine Memory Order
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Arwind and Kathail, V. (1981). A multiple processor data flow machine that supports generalized procedures. In International Conference on Computer Architecture (Minneapolis 1981), Los Alamitos, CA. IEEE Computer Society.Google Scholar
- Banzhaf, W., Nordin, P., Keller, R., and Francone, F. (1998). Genetic Programming-An Introduction. Morgan Kaufmann, San Francisco, CA.Google Scholar
- Banzhaf, Wolfgang (1995). Self-organizing Algorithms Derived from RNA Interactions. In Banzhaf, W. and Eeckman, F.H., editors, Evolution and Biocomputing, volume 899 of LNCS, pages 69–103. Springer, Berlin.Google Scholar
- Banzhaf, Wolfgang (2003). Artificial Regulatory Networks and Genetic Programming. In Riolo, R. and Worzel, B., editors, Genetic Programming — Theory and Practice, GP Series, pages 43–62. Kluwer, Norwell, MA.Google Scholar
- Blake, C. L. and Merz, C. J. (1998). UCI repository of machine learning databases. http://www.ics.uci.edu/~IGoogle Scholar
- di Fenizio, P. Speroni, Dittrich, P., Banzhaf, W., and Ziegler, J. (2000). Towards a Theory of Organizations. In Hauhs, M. and Lange, H., editors, Proceedings of the German 5th Workshop on Artificial Life, Bayreuth, Germany. Bayreuth University Press.Google Scholar
- Eiben, G. and Smith, J. (2003). Introduction to Evolutionary Computing. Springer, Berlin, Germany.Google Scholar
- Fontana, W. (1992). Algorithmic chemistry. In Langton, C. G., Taylor, C., Farmer, J. D., and Rasmussen, S., editors, Artificial Life II, pages 159–210, Redwood City, CA. Addison-Wesley.Google Scholar
- Gathercole, Chris (1998). An Investigation of Supervised Learning in Genetic Programming. PhD thesis, University of Edinburgh.Google Scholar
- Schiffmann, W., M. Joost, and Werner, R. (1992). Optimization of the backpropagation algorithm for training multilayer perceptrons. Technical Report 15, University of Koblenz, Institute of Physics.Google Scholar
- Silberschatz, A. and Galvin, P. B. (1994). Operating System Concepts. Addison-Wesley, Reading, MA, 4 edition.Google Scholar
- Swanson, S., Michelson, K., and Oskin, M. (2003). Wavescalar. Technical Report UW-CSE-03-01-01, University of Washington, Dept. of Computer Science and Engineering.Google Scholar