Complex-Source-Point Narrow-Waisted Ray-Like Gaussian Beams for frequency and Time Domain Radiation and Scattering
In many current forward and inverse scattering scenarios, there is a need for numerically efficient robust forward solvers for fields excited by distributed sources in the presence of complex environments. This motivation has led us to re-visit the previously developed FD narrow-waisted Gaussian beam algorithms (Maciel and Felsen, 1989; 1990a,b) and to extend them to new FD applications as well as to the short-pulse TD. The outcomes from the rough sinusoidal scattering example here, as well as the first results in the TD, are encouraging. Further FD extensions to irregularly rough interfaces between dielectrics are already in progress, as are TD interactions with canonical scatterers to learn the new rules.
KeywordsGaussian Beam Aperture Distribution Beam Propagator Gabor Coefficient Beam Discretization
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Deschamps, G.A., 1971, Gaussian beams as a bundle of complex rays, Electron. Lett., 7:684.Google Scholar
- Felsen, L.B., Complex-source-point solutions of the field equations and their relation to the propagation and scattering of Gaussian beams, Symp. Matemat., Istituto Nazionale, di Alta Matematica,“ Academic, London, XXVIII:40.Google Scholar
- Felsen, L.B., and Marcuvitz, N., 1973, Radiation and Scattering of Waves, Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ. Classic reissue, IEEE Press, Piscataway, NJ, 1994.Google Scholar
- Galdi, V., Felsen, L.B., and Castañon, D.A., 2000a, Quasi-ray Gaussian beam algorithm for scattering by, and reconstruction of, moderately rough interfaces — Part I: forward scattering (internal memorandum, in preparation for publication).Google Scholar
- Galdi, V., Felsen, L.B., and Castañon, D.A., 2000b, Narrow-waisted Gaussian beam discretization for time-dependent radiation from large apertures (internal memorandum, in preparation for publication).Google Scholar
- Heyman, E., and Melamed, T., 1998, Space-time representation of ultra wideband signals, Advances in Imaging and Electron Physics, 103:1.Google Scholar
- Maciel, J.J., and Felsen, L.B., 1990a, Gaussian beam analysis of propagation from an extended aperture distribution through dielectric layers, Part I — plane layer, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 38:1607.Google Scholar
- Maciel, J.J., and Felsen, L.B., 1990b, Gaussian beam analysis of propagation from an extended aperture distribution through dielectric layers, Part I — circular cyilindrical layer, IEEE Trans. Antennas Propagat., 38:1618.Google Scholar
- Ruan Y.Z., and Felsen, L.B., 1986, Reflection and transmission of beams at a curved interface, J. Opt. Soc. Am, A, 3:566.Google Scholar
- Steinberg, B.Z., Heyman, E., and Felsen, L.B., 1991, Phase-space beam summation for time-harmonic radiation from large apertures, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, 8:41Google Scholar
- Steinberg, B.Z., and Heyman, E., 1991, Phase-space beam summation for time-dependent radiation from large apertures: discretized parameterization, J. Opt. Soc. Am. A, 8:959.Google Scholar