Effect of Delays on TCP Performance
This paper has several contributions. First, we report that long sudden delays during data transfers are not uncommon in the GPRS wireless WAN. Long sudden delays can lead to spurious TCP timeouts and unnecessary retransmissions. Second, we show that the New Reno algorithm increases the penalty of spurious TCP timeouts and that an aggressive TCP retransmission timer may trigger a chain of spurious retransmissions. Third, we test how four widely deployed TCP implementations recover from a spurious timeout and notice that two of them have severe problems to recover. Finally, we discuss several existing ways to alleviate the problems.
Key wordsTCP delay GPRS Eifel
- M. Allman, V. Paxson, and W. Stevens. TCP congestion control. IETF RFC 2581, April 1999.Google Scholar
- R. Braden. Requirements for internet hosts— communication layers. IETF RFC 1122, October 1989.Google Scholar
- G. Brasche and B. Walke. Concepts, services and protocols of the new GSM phase 2+ general packet radio service. IEEE Communications Magazine, pages 94–104, August 1997.Google Scholar
- K. Fall and S. Floyd. Simulation-based comparisons of Tahoe, Reno, and SACK TCP. ACM Computer Communication Review, July 1996.Google Scholar
- S. Floyd and T. Henderson. The New Reno modification to TCP’s fast recovery algorithm. IETF RFC 2582, April 1999.Google Scholar
- S. Floyd, J. Mahdavi, M. Mathis, and M. Podolsky. An extension to the selective acknowledgment (SACK) option for TCP. IETF RFC 2883, July 2000.Google Scholar
- A. Gurtov. TCP performance in presence of congestion and corruption losses. Master’s thesis, Department of Computer Science, University of Helsinki, December 2000. Available at: http://www.cs.Helsinki.FI/group/iwtcp/papers/.
- V. Jacobson. Congestion avoidance and control. In Proceedings of ACM SIGCOMM’ 88, pages 314–329, August 1988.Google Scholar
- V. Jacobson, C. Leres, and S. McCanne. tcpdump. Available at http://ee.lbl.gov/, June 1997.
- M. Kojo, A. Gurtov, J. Mannner, P. Sarolahti, T. Alanko, and K. Raatikainen. Seawind: a wireless network emulator. Submitted to MMB 2001.Google Scholar
- J. Korhonen, O. Aalto, A. Gurtov, and H. Laamanen. Measured performance of GSM HSCSD and GPRS. In Proceedings of the IEEE International Conference on Communications, 2001. To appear.Google Scholar
- R. Ludwig. Eliminating Inefficient Cross-Layer Interactions in Wireless Networking. PhD thesis, Aachen University of Technology, April 2000.Google Scholar
- R. Ludwig and R. H. Katz. The Eifel algorithm: Making TCP robust against spurious retransmissions. ACM Computer Communication Review, 30(1), January 2000. Available at: http://www.acm.org/sigcomm/ccr/archive/2000/jan00/ccr-200001-ludwig.html.
- R. Ludwig, B. Rathonyi, A. Konrad, K. Oden, and A. Joseph. Multi-layer tracing of TCP over a reliable wireless link. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGMETRICS International Conference on Measurement and Modeling of Computing Systems (SIGMETRICS-99), volume 27,1 of SIGMETRICS Performance Evaluation Review, pages 144–154, New York, May 1–4 1999. ACM Press.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- R. Ludwig and K. Sklower. The Eifel retransmission timer. ACM Computer Communication Review, 30(3), July 2000.Google Scholar
- M. Mathis, J. Mahdavi, S. Floyd, and A. Romanow. TCP selective acknowledgement options. IETF RFC 2018, October 1996. Standards Track.Google Scholar
- Microsoft. TCP/IP may retransmit packets prematurely. Available at: http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q236/9/26.ASP.
- M. Mouly and M. Pautet. The GSM System for Mobile Communications. Europe Media Duplication S.A., 1992.Google Scholar
- V. Paxson. Automated packet trace analysis of TCP implementations. In Proceedings of the ACM SIGCOMM Conference: Applications, Technologies, Architectures, and Protocols for Computer Communication (SIGCOMM-97), volume 27 of Computer Communication Review, pages 167–180, Cannes, France, Sept. 14–18 1997. ACM Press.Google Scholar
- V. Paxson and M. Allman. Computing TCP’s retransmission timer. IETF RFC 2988, November 2000. Standards Track.Google Scholar
- V. Paxson, M. Allman, S. Dawson, W. Fenner, J. Griner, I. Heavens, K. Lahey, J. Semke, and B. Volz. Known TCP implementation problems. IETF RFC 2988, Mar. 1999.Google Scholar
- J. Postel. Transmission control protocol. IETF RFC 793, 1981. Standard.Google Scholar
- W. Stevens. TCP slow start, congestion avoidance, fast retransmit, and fast recovery algorithms. IETF RFC 2001, Jan. 1997.Google Scholar
- R. H. Stine. FYI on a network management tool catalog: Tools for monitoring and debugging TCP/IP internets and interconnected devices. IETF RFC 1147, Apr. 1990.Google Scholar
- A. S. Tanenbaum. Computer Networks. Prentice-Hall International, 1996.Google Scholar