About this book
This book analyzes how international organizations and the European Union engage with civil society to pursue their policy goals. Multi-stakeholder initiatives, private-public partnership, sub-contracting, political alliances, hybrid coalitions, multi-sectoral networks, pluralist co-governance, and indeed foreign policy by proxy are all considered. Bringing together the most advanced scholarship, the book examines trade, environment, development, security, and human rights with reference to both EU and global institutional settings such as the WTO, UN Climate Summits, FAO, IFAD, ICC, UNHRC, UNSC, and at the EU level the DG FISMA, TRADE, CLIMA, DEVCO, HOME and ECHO. The book also studies the use of NGOs in the foreign policy of the EU, USA, and Russia. This changing politics and the polarized debate it has generated are explored in detail.
Raffaele Marchetti is Senior Assistant Professor in International Relations at LUISS, Rome, Italy, and is an expert on global governance, international public policies, NGOs, and peacebuilding. Among his publications are The Rules of the Global Political Game; Cooperation and Competition between Governments and NGOs; Global Democracy; Civil Society, Ethnic Conflicts, and the Politicization of Human Rights; Conflict Society and Peacebuilding.
Public policy Global governance European Union Multi stakeholder Democracy promotion Diplomacy
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-349-94938-0
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, London
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-1-349-94937-3
- Online ISBN 978-1-349-94938-0
- Buy this book on publisher's site