About this book
- Book Title Lydgate Matters
- Book Subtitle Poetry and Material Culture in the Fifteenth Century
- Series Title The New Middle Ages
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1057/9780230610293
- Copyright Information Palgrave Macmillan, a division of Nature America Inc. 2008
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, New York
- eBook Packages Palgrave Literature & Performing Arts Collection Literature, Cultural and Media Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-4039-7674-1
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-349-53736-5
- eBook ISBN 978-0-230-61029-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VII, 223
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
History of Medieval Europe
Poetry and Poetics
Classical and Antique Literature
- Buy this book on publisher's site
'Lydgate scholars are back in town. This stylish posse takes aim at the following: medieval London's wealthy oligarchies, its eateries, the sewage systems, the laundromats, trade unions, and the multimedia outlets. The action is brisk and invigorating, the aim startlingly accurate. Each sharpshooter in this this superb collection holds his or her own.'
-James Simpson, Douglas P. and Katherine B. Loker Professor of English, Department of English and American Literature and Language, Harvard University, USA.
'If any volume proves that Lydgate matters to current scholarship, criticism, and teaching of medieval literature, it is this one. The editors have assembled a remarkable collection of distinguished senior and promising junior scholars. Taken together, they illuminate Lydgate's place in post-Chaucerian poetry, in the material culture of late medieval England, and in the broader arc of English literary history."
-Seth Lerer, Avalon Foundation Professor in the Humanities, Professor of English and Comparative Literature, Stanford University, USA.
'This volume has an admirable conversational quality to it, a sense that many of the essays are really engaged in a collective reading of Lydgate and cross-pollinate ideas with each other and a larger discourse. A solid contribution to the ongoing interest in Lydgate's work.'
-Ethan Knapp, Ohio State University, USA.