About this book
This book is a comparative analysis of the post-communist East European radical right, both in party and non-party formation, using the West European radical right as a baseline. Minkenberg offers insights into the political field of the radical right since the onset of democracy in the region and elicits region-wide and country-specific characteristics. The book argues that due to the nature of the transition process from Soviet hegemony to national independence and from communist to democratic societies, and the unfinished process of nation-building in the region, the radical right in Eastern Europe is a phenomenon sui generis, both organizationally more fluid and ideologically more extreme than the Western counterpart. The issues covered include trends in party system and electoral developments, patterns of movement mobilization and racist activism, and the impact of the radical right on their countries’ politics and policies.
Michael Minkenberg is Professor of Political Science at European University Viadrina in Frankfurt, Germany. He had previously held the Max Weber Chair for German and European Studies at New York University, USA. His research interests include the radical right in liberal democracies and the relationship between religion and politics in Western societies.
Radical Right European Politics Eastern Europe nation-building comparative political sociology Democracy
- Book Title The Radical Right in Eastern Europe
- Book Subtitle Democracy under Siege?
- Series Title Europe in Crisis
- Series Abbreviated Title Europe in Crisis
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1057/978-1-137-56332-3
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Pivot, New York
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies Political Science and International Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-349-95147-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-349-95742-2
- eBook ISBN 978-1-137-56332-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XX, 194
- Number of Illustrations 5 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
European Union Politics
- Buy this book on publisher's site