About this book
This book not only explicates Stalin’s thoughts, but thinks with and especially through Stalin. It argues that Stalin often thought at the intersections between theology and Marxist political philosophy – especially regarding key issues of socialism in power. Careful and sustained attention to Stalin’s written texts is the primary approach used. The result is a series of arresting efforts to develop the Marxist tradition in unexpected ways.
Starting from a sympathetic attitude toward socialism in power, this book provides us with an extremely insightful interpretation of Stalin’s philosophy of socialism. It is not only a successful academic effort to re-articulate Stalin’s philosophy, but also a creative effort to understand socialism in power in the context of both the former Soviet Union and contemporary China.
------- Zhang Shuangli, Professor of Marxist philosophy, Fudan University
Boer's book, far from both "veneration" and "demonization" of Stalin, throws new light on the classic themes of Marxism and the Communist Movement: language, nation, state, and the stages of constructing post-capitalist society. It is an original book that also pays great attention to the People's Republic of China, arising from the reforms of Deng Xiaoping, and which is valuable to those who, beyond the twentieth century, want to understand the time and the world in which we live.
-------Domenico Losurdo, University of Urbino, Italy, author of Stalin: The History and Critique of a Black Legend.
- Book Title Stalin: From Theology to the Philosophy of Socialism in Power
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-10-6367-1
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-10-6366-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-13-4865-5
- eBook ISBN 978-981-10-6367-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXII, 240
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Religion and Society
- Buy this book on publisher's site