Table of contents
Introduction to Engineering Education and Engineering for Social Justice (ESJ)
Where Have We Been? Where Can We Go?
Conceptual Contributions to ESJ
What Gets in the Way and How Can ESJ Live in the Engineering Classroom?
What Thinking about Social Justice in Engineering Practice Can Offer to Engineering Education
Synthesis and Conclusions
About this book
Hoping to help transform engineering into a more socially just field of practice, this book offers various perspectives and strategies while highlighting key concepts and themes that help readers understand the complex relationship between engineering education and social justice. This volume tackles topics and scopes ranging from the role of Buddhism in socially just engineering to the blinding effects of ideologies in engineering to case studies on the implications of engineered systems for social justice.
This book aims to serve as a framework for interventions or strategies to make social justice more visible in engineering education and enhance scholarship in the emerging field of Engineering and Social Justice (ESJ). This creates a ‘toolbox’ for engineering educators and students to make social justice a central theme in engineering education.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-6350-0
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media Dordrecht 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, Dordrecht
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
- Print ISBN 978-94-007-6349-4
- Online ISBN 978-94-007-6350-0
- Series Print ISSN 1879-7202
- Series Online ISSN 1879-7210
- Buy this book on publisher's site