About this book
J. Matthias Starck comprehensively guides the reader in this essential through all steps of writing an expert review for a scientific journal. It is built on a succinct analysis how science works, how science is communicated and how science is published. It provides a critical guide how to write good, informative and fair peer reviews. The author presents a critical discussion of different peer review procedures and their alternatives, explains ethical guidelines as well as the dark sides of scientific publishing. So this essential helps the reader to perform better in the existing system and to contribute to its further development and improvement.
- Essence of Scientific Communication
- Why Peer Review?
- Responsibilities of the Reviewer and Ethical Rules in the Reviewing Process
- Critique and Variations of the Journal Peer Reviewing Process
- Reviewer Recognition
- Institutions and Committees/Recommendations in Conflict
- Advanced PhD students and postdocs from biomedical research and natural science fields who received their first peer review requests and now seek advice and guidance
- Researchers from all fields of science and all degrees of experience who wish to improve and develop their methodological approach to peer review
Prof. Dr. J. Matthias Starck is Professor of Zoology, Department Biology II, at the Ludwig Maximilian University of Munich.
scientific publishing reviewer author ethical rules misconduct honesty
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-658-19915-9
- Copyright Information Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden GmbH 2017
- Publisher Name Springer Spektrum, Wiesbaden
- eBook Packages Biomedical and Life Sciences
- Print ISBN 978-3-658-19914-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-658-19915-9
- Series Print ISSN 2197-6708
- Series Online ISSN 2197-6716
- About this book