About this book
This book considers the many and often controversial debates about the theoretical underpinning, ideological positioning and political significance of intercultural learning in and for the European youth field. Its starting point is the current de-politicisation of intercultural learning in the field, which sees it as a central approach.
Contributors challenge the elevation of intercultural dialogue to panacea for all societal problems from civil war to educational failure, the problematic position of notions of culture at the heart of intercultural learning practice and much of the accepted wisdom on the purposes, contents, approaches and methods of intercultural learning and on the competences required of those delivering it. In an attempt to breathe new life into what is criticised as a stagnant debate, this book asks all those concerned with political education and intercultural learning to rethink where they stand in relation to the theoretical foundations and basic principles of an educational practice that seems to be in need of radical re-politicisation if it is to live up to the contemporary challenges putting its mobilisational capacity to the test.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-531-94326-8
- Copyright Information VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften | Springer Fachmedien Wiesbaden GmbH, Wiesbaden 2012
- Publisher Name VS Verlag für Sozialwissenschaften
- eBook Packages Humanities, Social Sciences and Law
- Print ISBN 978-3-531-18031-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-531-94326-8
- About this book