Table of contents
About this book
This volume presents 25 essays on the philosophy of design. With contributions originating from philosophy and design research, and from product design to architecture, it gives a rich spectrum of state of the art research and brings together studies on philosophical topics in which design plays a key role and design research to which philosophy contributes.
Coverage zooms in on specific and more well-known design disciplines but also includes less-studied disciplines, such as graphic design, interior architecture and exhibition design. In addition, contributors take up traditional philosophical issues, such as epistemology, politics, phenomenology and philosophy of science. Some essays cover philosophical issues that emerge in design, for instance what design can do in addressing societal problems, while other essays analyze main-stream philosophical issues in which design is part of the argument, as for instance abduction and aesthetics.
Readers will discover new research with insightful analyses of design research, design thinking and the specificity of design. Overall, this comprehensive overview of an emerging topic in philosophy will be of great interest to researchers and students.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Advancements in the Philosophy of Design
Pieter E. Vermaas
- Series Title Design Research Foundations
- Series Abbreviated Title Design Res. Foundat.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-73302-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-73301-2
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-10351-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-73302-9
- Series ISSN 2366-4622
- Series E-ISSN 2366-4630
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VII, 564
- Number of Illustrations 27 b/w illustrations, 34 illustrations in colour
Philosophy of Technology
Architectural History and Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site