Table of contents
About this book
This textbook is aimed at computer science undergraduates late in sophomore or early in junior year, supplying a comprehensive background in qualitative and quantitative data analysis, probability, random variables, and statistical methods, including machine learning.
With careful treatment of topics that fill the curricular needs for the course, Probability and Statistics for Computer Science features:
• A treatment of random variables and expectations dealing primarily with the discrete case.
• A chapter dealing with classification, explaining why it’s useful; how to train SVM classifiers with stochastic gradient descent; and how to use implementations of more advanced methods such as random forests and nearest neighbors.• A chapter dealing with regression, explaining how to set up, use and understand linear regression and nearest neighbors regression in practical problems.• A chapter dealing with principal components analysis, developing intuition carefully, and including numerous practical examples. There is a brief description of multivariate scaling via principal coordinate analysis.
• A chapter dealing with clustering via agglomerative methods and k-means, showing how to build vector quantized features for complex signals.
Illustrated throughout, each main chapter includes many worked examples and other pedagogical elements such asboxed Procedures, Definitions, Useful Facts, and Remember This (short tips). Problems and Programming Exercises are at the end of each chapter, with a summary of what the reader should know. Instructor resources include a full set of model solutions for all problems, and an Instructor's Manual with accompanying presentation slides.
- Book Title Probability and Statistics for Computer Science
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-64410-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2018
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-64409-7
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-87788-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-64410-3
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXIV, 367
- Number of Illustrations 40 b/w illustrations, 84 illustrations in colour
Probability and Statistics in Computer Science
Simulation and Modeling
Statistics and Computing/Statistics Programs
- Buy this book on publisher's site