About this book
This book provides an introduction to PDE-constrained optimisation using finite elements and the adjoint approach. The practical impact of the mathematical insights presented here are demonstrated using the realistic scenario of the optimal placement of marine power turbines, thereby illustrating the real-world relevance of best-practice Hilbert space aware approaches to PDE-constrained optimisation problems.
Many optimisation problems that arise in a real-world context are constrained by partial differential equations (PDEs). That is, the system whose configuration is to be optimised follows physical laws given by PDEs. This book describes general Hilbert space formulations of optimisation algorithms, thereby facilitating optimisations whose controls are functions of space. It demonstrates the importance of methods that respect the Hilbert space structure of the problem by analysing the mathematical drawbacks of failing to do so. The approaches considered are illustrated using the optimisation problem arising in tidal array layouts mentioned above.
This book will be useful to readers from engineering, computer science, mathematics and physics backgrounds interested in PDE-constrained optimisation and their real-world applications.
- Book Title Mesh Dependence in PDE-Constrained Optimisation
- Book Subtitle An Application in Tidal Turbine Array Layouts
- Series Title Mathematics of Planet Earth
- Series Abbreviated Title Mathematics of Planet Earth
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-59483-5
- Copyright Information The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics Mathematics and Statistics (R0)
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-59482-8
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-59483-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages VIII, 110
- Number of Illustrations 3 b/w illustrations, 21 illustrations in colour
Mathematics of Planet Earth
Environmental Science and Engineering
Partial Differential Equations
Calculus of Variations and Optimal Control; Optimization
Computational Science and Engineering
- Buy this book on publisher's site