About this book
This book concentrates on some of the odd aspects of comets and asteroids. Strange behavior of comets, such as outbursts and schisms, and how asteroids can temporally act as comets are discussed, together with the possible threat of Centaurs-class objects like the Taurid complex.
Recent years have seen the distinction between comets and asteroids become less prominent. Comets in "asteroid" orbits and vice versa have become almost commonplace and a clearer view of the role of small bodies in the formation of the Solar System and their effect on Earth has become apparent. Seargent covers this development in detail by including new data and information from space probes.
Comets and asteroid transition objects Meteorites and meteoroids Meteor showers Taurid complex Comet morphology Comet behavior Temporary and ghost comets Asteroid meteor comet complex Wondering asteroids Asteroid families
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-56558-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing AG 2017
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Physics and Astronomy
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-56557-6
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-56558-3
- Series Print ISSN 1614-659X
- Series Online ISSN 2197-6651
- Buy this book on publisher's site