Synthesizes brain and cognitive science research to inform practice
Provides comprehensive step-by-step procedures
Examines research-based assessment and intervention strategies for oral language, reading, math, and writing learning problems
Offers case studies and sample reports detailing how to integrate and report findings
Explains how to develop interventions for English language learners before a formal evaluation
Includes supplementary material: sn.pub/extras
Buy it now
Tax calculation will be finalised at checkout
Other ways to access
This is a preview of subscription content, log in via an institution to check for access.
Table of contents (12 chapters)
About this book
This invaluable guide:
- Examines challenges of data collection when working with English language learners.
- Traces the development of dual-language fluency and competence.
- Discusses language-acquisition issues affecting oral language assessment.
- Reviews commonly used assessment and intervention tools in use with English learners.
- Features specialized chapters relating to reading, writing, and mathematics competencies.
- Can be used regardless of first language spoken by students.
Assessment and Intervention for English Language Learners is an essential resource for researchers, professionals, and graduate students in diverse fields including school and clinical child psychology; assessment, testing, and evaluation; language education; special education; and educational psychology.
- At-risk ELL students
- Bilingual assessment and intervention
- English language learners
- English language proficiency
- English as a second language (ESL)
- Interventions for English language learners
- Learning disabilities and ELLs
- Limited English proficiency
- Math calculation assessment and intervention for ELLs
- Math problem-solving assessment and intervention for ELLs
- Multicultural education
- Oral language assessment and intervention for ELLs
- Racial and ethnic minorities in schools
- Reading comprehension assessment and intervention for ELLs
- Reading decoding assessment and intervention for ELLs
- Reading fluency assessment and intervention for ELLs
- Special education and ELLs
- Written expression assessment and intervention for ELLs
Authors and Affiliations
Wichita State University, Wichita, USA
Susan Unruh, Nancy A. McKellar
About the authors
Susan Unruh, Ph.D., is Associate Professor of School Psychology at Wichita State University. She received her doctorate in School Psychology from the University of Kansas with a specialty in bilingual education. Dr. Unruh has more than 25 years of experience working with English language learners, first as a practitioner in public schools and then in her research at WSU. She has made numerous presentations in the area of bilingual assessment and education at regional, national, and international conferences and has published articles in various journals on the topic.
Nancy McKellar, Ph.D., is Associate Professor and Director of the School Psychology Program at Wichita State University. She began her career as a special education teacher. She received her masters and doctorate in Psychology from Northern Illinois University, with emphases in school psychology as well as human learning and memory. Since 1984, Dr. McKellar has been a school psychology trainer at Wichita State University, where she developed and teaches the course in school-based interventions. Her research and professional presentations have focused on the needs and ways to help children at risk due to disabilities or circumstances.
Book Title: Assessment and Intervention for English Language Learners
Book Subtitle: Translating Research into Practice
Authors: Susan Unruh, Nancy A. McKellar
Publisher: Springer Cham
Copyright Information: Springer International Publishing AG 2017
Hardcover ISBN: 978-3-319-52644-7Published: 20 March 2017
Softcover ISBN: 978-3-319-84952-2Published: 18 July 2018
eBook ISBN: 978-3-319-52645-4Published: 07 March 2017
Edition Number: 1
Number of Pages: XV, 200
Number of Illustrations: 1 b/w illustrations, 1 illustrations in colour