About this book
This book provides a multilayered analysis of food import dependency and its impact on food security in the Caribbean region. The study analyses the main impact of trade liberalization in the Caribbean within the WTO framework and main policy mechanisms to support domestic food production in order to reduce food import dependency. Moreover, the author evaluates economic and social benefits of food self-sufficiency as a strategy aimed to improve domestic food production by increased availability of locally produced food products.
Ekaterina Dorodnykh is member of the Caribbean Agro-Economic Society. She previously worked as Agricultural Economist in the Sub-Regional Office for the Caribbean of the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations.
Caribbean Region Food Security Self-Sufficiency Domestic Food Production Economic Growth Rural Development
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-50188-8
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Political Science and International Studies
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-50187-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-50188-8
- Buy this book on publisher's site