About this book
'Enrico Marelli and Marcello Signorelli provide an excellent analysis of the causes of the Eurozone crisis and of the strategies that we will have to follow to ensure the survival of the Euro.'
– Paul De Grauwe, Professor of European Political Economy, London School of Economics, UK
'After Brexit, the future of the European Union and the Eurozone are among the hottest issues in both contemporary economics and finance. This book offers a broad survey of the causes, characteristics, and consequences of the economic decline in the Eurozone. It also proposes specific solutions to overcome the economic and financial crisis.'
– Beniamino Moro, Professor of Economics, University of Cagliari, Italy
This book offers a fresh perspective on the recent Eurozone "double crisis" and its related economic policies. The authors present empirical evidence which sheds new light on the growing economic and political debate on the future of the Euro, the Eurozone and the EU. The book investigates and assesses the impact of the crisis with particular reference to monetary and fiscal policy, whose protracted austerity approach has dampened economic growth. In their discussion of the long-run European integration process, the authors emphasize the original weaknesses in the construction of the European Monetary Union and examine its failure to respond to the recent crisis. The concluding chapter focuses on the need for crucial reform in European governance and discusses the impact of the UK’s recent EU membership referendum. Scholars, students and members of the general public with an interest in the future of the Eurozone will find this work thought-provoking, instructive and highly informative.
Enrico Marelli is Professor of Economic Policy at the University of Brescia, Italy.
Marcello Signorelli is Associate Professor of Economic Policy at the University of Perugia, Italy.
Eurozone Financial crisis Sovereign debt crisis Future of the Euro Monetary policy decisions Quantitative easing OCA theories Convergance
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-45729-1
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2017
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance Economics and Finance (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-45728-4
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-45729-1
- Buy this book on publisher's site