Table of contents
About this book
This handbook explores mindfulness philosophy and practice as it functions in today’s socioeconomic, cultural, and political landscape. Chapters discuss the many ways in which classic concepts and practices of mindfulness clash, converge, and influence modern theories and methods, and vice versa. Experts across many disciplines address the secularization and commercialization of Buddhist concepts, the medicalizing of mindfulness in therapies, and progressive uses of mindfulness in education. The book addresses the rise of the, “mindfulness movement”, and the core concerns behind the critiques of the growing popularity of mindfulness. It covers a range of dichotomies, such as traditional versus modern, religious versus secular, and commodification versus critical thought and probes beyond the East/West binary to larger questions of economics, philosophy, ethics, and, ultimately, meaning.
Featured topics include:
- A compilation of Buddhist meditative practices.
- Selling mindfulness and the marketing of mindful products.
- A meta-critique of mindfulness critiques - from McMindfulness to critical mindfulness
- Mindfulness-based interventions in clinical psychology and neuroscience.
- Corporate mindfulness and usage in the workplace.
- Community-engaged mindfulness and its role in social justice.
The Handbook of Mindfulness is a must-have resource for clinical psychologists, complementary and alternative medicine professionals/practitioners, neuroscientists, and educational and business/management leaders and policymakers as well as related mental health, medical, and educational professionals/practitioners.
Buddhism mindfulness Buddhist meditative practices Capitalism and mindfulness Clinical mindfulness Compassion in corporations Contemplative neuroscience and culture Corporate mindfulness Critical Buddhism Ethics and mindfulness Mindfulness and education Mindfulness and trauma Mindfulness education Mindfulness in a corporate context Mindfulness in schools Psychotherapy and mindfulness Secular mindfulness Social justice and teaching mindfulness Wisdom traditions
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-44019-4
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science and Psychology
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-44017-0
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-44019-4
- Series Print ISSN 2195-9579
- Series Online ISSN 2195-9587
- About this book