About this book
This monograph is a compilation of a number of research studies presented in fourteen chapters dealing with the impact and restoration of coastal environments that have been affected by earthquakes and tsunamis. The focus is mainly on rivers, estuaries, coastal lagoons, beaches, and related ecosystems. In addition to direct impact and response due to flooding and subsequent abrasion, this publication covers physical, chemical and biological responses in coastal morphology, water quality and ecosystems and includes also topics dealing with risk reduction and vulnerability.
This compilation mainly covers examples from large magnitude earthquake and tsunami events in the Indian and Pacific Ocean that are complemented with other events in Latin America and the Iberian Peninsula.
Comprehensive descriptions of multi-scale impacts of tsunami and earthquake events, both spatially and temporally, will help the reader to understand the complicated interactions which occur in coastal zones in order to create a sustainable, resilient environment and achieve a society with smart post-event recovery planning. This book is aimed at researchers and students in coastal science and engineering as well as at policy makers, environmental planners and coastal managers.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-28528-3
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Earth and Environmental Science Earth and Environmental Science (R0)
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-28526-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-28528-3
- Series Print ISSN 2211-0577
- Series Online ISSN 2211-0585
- Buy this book on publisher's site