About this book
This timely text/reference presents a comprehensive overview of fault tolerance techniques for high-performance computing (HPC).
The text opens with a detailed introduction to the concepts of checkpoint protocols and scheduling algorithms, prediction, replication, silent error detection and correction, together with some application-specific techniques such as algorithm-based fault tolerance. Emphasis is placed on analytical performance models. This is then followed by a review of general-purpose techniques, including several checkpoint and rollback recovery protocols. Relevant execution scenarios are also evaluated and compared through quantitative models.
Topics and features:
- Includes self-contained contributions from an international selection of preeminent experts
- Provides a survey of resilience methods and performance models
- Examines the various sources for errors and faults in large-scale systems, detailing their characteristics, with a focus on modeling, detection and prediction
- Reviews the spectrum of techniques that can be applied to design a fault-tolerant message passing interface
- Investigates different approaches to replication, comparing these to the traditional checkpoint-recovery approach
- Discusses the challenge of energy consumption of fault-tolerance methods in extreme-scale systems, proposing a methodology to estimate such energy consumption
This authoritative volume is essential reading for all researchers and graduate students involved in high-performance computing.
Dr. Thomas Herault is a Research Scientist in the Innovative Computing Laboratory (ICL) at the University of Tennessee Knoxville, TN, USA. Dr. Yves Robert is a Professor in the Laboratory of Parallel Computing at the Ecole Normale Supérieure de Lyon, France, and a Visiting Research Scholar in the ICL.
Editors and affiliations
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-20943-2
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2015
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Computer Science
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-20942-5
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-20943-2
- Series Print ISSN 1617-7975
- Series Online ISSN 2197-8433
- Buy this book on publisher's site