About this book
This text seeks to generate interest in abstract algebra by introducing each new structure and topic via a real-world application. The down-to-earth presentation is accessible to a readership with no prior knowledge of abstract algebra. Students are led to algebraic concepts and questions in a natural way through their everyday experiences.
- Identification numbers and modular arithmetic
- (linear) error-correcting codes, including cyclic codes
- ruler and compass constructions
- symmetry of patterns in the real plane
Abstract Algebra: Structure and Application is suitable as a text for a first course on abstract algebra whose main purpose is to generate interest in the subject, or as a supplementary text for more advanced courses. The material paves the way to subsequent courses that further develop the theory of abstract algebra and will appeal to students of mathematics, mathematics education, computer science, and engineering interested in applications of algebraic concepts.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-04498-9
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2014
- Publisher Name Birkhäuser, Cham
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-3-319-04497-2
- Online ISBN 978-3-319-04498-9
- Series Print ISSN 1867-5506
- Series Online ISSN 1867-5514
- Buy this book on publisher's site