Table of contents
About this book
This groundbreaking resource presents a wealth of findings and perspectives previously unseen in the LGBT literature. Its focus on psychological, sociopolitical, and care delivery issues affecting LGBT elders reveals both the nuanced interplay between diverse sources of identity and multiple sources of stigma and discrimination.
Specific chapters highlight challenges and resiliencies impacting subpopulations (e.g., racial groups, veterans, immigrants), examine employment and advocacy issues, discuss later-life concerns in context, and offer guidelines for relevant, ethical practice. Contributors represent a wide range of fields from psychiatry and gerontology to public health and public policy, reflecting the scope and needs of this diverse and complex population.
Among the topics in the Handbook:
- Family relationships of older LGBT adults.
- The intersection of identities: race, age, sexuality, and care network.
- Bisexuality: an invisible community among LGBT elders.
- Implications of the Supreme Court ruling on same-sex marriage.
- No money, no work, and you're old.
- Disabilities among LGBT elders: responses of medicine, public health, rehabilitation, and social work.
Handbook of LGBT Elders is an essential reference for mental health professionals, psychologists, and social workers who work with the LGBT community and the elderly, as well as researchers interested in the LGBT community and aging.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Handbook of LGBT Elders
- Book Subtitle An Interdisciplinary Approach to Principles, Practices, and Policies
Debra A. Harley
Pamela B. Teaster
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-319-03623-6
- Copyright Information Springer International Publishing Switzerland 2016
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Social Sciences Social Sciences (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-319-03622-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-319-37141-2
- eBook ISBN 978-3-319-03623-6
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XVIII, 691
- Number of Illustrations 22 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Psychotherapy and Counseling
- Buy this book on publisher's site