This book brings together technical expertise, best practices, case studies and ground-level application of the ideas for empowering the rural population of the world to live economically prosperous, environmentally sustainable, and socially progressive lives, on par or comparable with the quality of life enjoyed by the global urban population. The idea of Smart Villages takes on greater urgency in light of the investments made in this millennium on “Smart Cities”, taking advantage of the technological advances, particularly in digital connectivity. These investments have and will continue to expand the urban-rural divide, unless similar investments are made in the villages as well. The book provides a much-needed guide for a holistic development of a Smart Village, by defining the need, developing the framework, and describing the delivery, complete with successful case studies. Contributors to the book, from Canada, USA, Africa and India bring years of academic, industry and governmental experience, including organization of several Smart Village conferences. The knowledge base in the book will be of great value to anyone interested in or active in rural planning, including governmental and non-governmental organizations, industrial solution providers, public healthcare professionals, public policy professionals and students, as well as rural communities around the world.
- Consolidates all the aspects of creating/developing a Smart Village;
- Delivers an effective tool-kit for practitioners in the area of Smart Villages;
- Provides a policy-based framework for the development of an ideal Smart Village;
- Illustrates, through case studies, the fulfillment of key requirements of a Smart Village;
- Brings together experts from around the world to share their vision of a Smart Village;
- Highlights the importance of balancing development with social/gender equity and cultural traditions.