Table of contents
A Panoramic View of the Field
Facilitating Communication Between the Arts, Technology, and Audiences
Interactions Between the Arts and Data
Audio Visual Installations to Generate Collective Human Responses
The Convergence of Digital Design, the Arts, Computing, and the Environment
About this book
This open access book details the relationship between the artist and their created works, using tools such as information technology, computer environments, and interactive devices, for a range of information sources and application domains. This has produced new kinds of created works which can be viewed, explored, and interacted with, either as an installation or via a virtual environment such as the Internet. These processes generate new dimensions of understanding and experience for both the artist and the public’s relationships with the works that are produced. This has raised a variety of interdisciplinary opportunities and issues, and these are examined.The symbiotic relationship between artistic works and the cultural context in which they are produced is reviewed. Technology can provide continuity by making traditional methods and techniques more efficient and effective. It can also provide discontinuity by opening up new perspectives and paradigms. This can generate new ideas, and produce a greater understanding of artistic processes and how they are implemented in practice.
Tools have been used from the earliest times to create and modify artistic works. For example, naturally occurring pigments have been used for cave paintings. What has been created provides insight into the cultural context and social environment at the time of creation. There is an interplay between the goal of the creator, the selection and use of appropriate tools, and the materials and representations chosen.
Technology, Design and the Arts - Opportunities and Challenges is relevant for artists and technologists and those engaged in interdisciplinary research and development at the boundaries between these disciplines.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Technology, Design and the Arts - Opportunities and Challenges
- Series Title Springer Series on Cultural Computing
- Series Abbreviated Title Spr. Ser. Cult. Comp.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-42097-0
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s) 2020
- License CC BY
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Computer Science Computer Science (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-42096-3
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-42099-4
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-42097-0
- Series ISSN 2195-9056
- Series E-ISSN 2195-9064
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXV, 387
- Number of Illustrations 14 b/w illustrations, 148 illustrations in colour
User Interfaces and Human Computer Interaction
Computer Appl. in Arts and Humanities
Information Systems Applications (incl. Internet)
- Buy this book on publisher's site