About this book
This two-volume study explores the economy of East Timor, of which very little has been written since the country gained independence in 2002. Currently, no comprehensive account exists of the economic history of the country. The former cannot be properly understood without a knowledge of the historical process that created the present-day situation. This research monograph is the first book to combine a historical analysis of the creation and development of the economy of East Timor from the earliest times to the present, and an analysis of the main contemporary problems facing the East Timorese economy. Volume I considers East Timor from a chronological perspective, as an occupied country up to the point at which Indonesia leave.
This book will appeal to scholars and students of economics, political and social science. It will also be of interest to practitioners in these fields as it focuses on down-to-earth problems that need to be solved for the economy to develop.
East Timor (Timor-Leste) East Timorese economy Resource-rich underdeveloped economies Congresso Nacional de Reconstrução Timorense (CNRT) Portuguese empire Independence of East Timor East Timorese politics Poverty alleviation Indonesian occupation of East Timor Timorese resistance movement
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-19466-6
- Copyright Information The Editor(s) (if applicable) and The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Palgrave Macmillan, Cham
- eBook Packages Economics and Finance
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-19465-9
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-19466-6
- Buy this book on publisher's site