About this book
This brief summarizes the existing body of knowledge about the links between mental illness and violence, recommends improved methods to deal with potentially violent individuals with mental illness, and identifies pressing implementation and research needs. In public perception and media reports, mental illness and violence - particularly gun violence - are unquestionably linked. However, empirical research presents a more nuanced and complex view of this relationship.
Taking into account differences between youth and adults, as well as gender and racial difference, this innovative volume will be useful to policy-makers, legislators, researchers and students interested in addressing the growing public concern about mentally ill individuals at risk for violence.
mental health victimization public safety mental illness and violence risk assessment violence research mental illness and violence gun control comparative criminology violence prevention
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-18750-7
- Copyright Information The Author(s), under exclusive license to Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Law and Criminology
- Print ISBN 978-3-030-18749-1
- Online ISBN 978-3-030-18750-7
- Series Print ISSN 2192-8533
- Series Online ISSN 2192-8541
- Buy this book on publisher's site