Table of contents
About this book
This book discusses the question of whether legal interpretation is a scientific activity.
The law’s dependency on language, at least for the usual communication purposes, not only makes legal interpretation the main task performed by those whose work involves the law, but also an unavoidable step in the process of resolving a legal case. This task of decoding the words and sentences used by normative authorities while enacting norms, carried out in compliance with the principles and rules of the natural language adopted, is prone to all of the difficulties stemming from the uncertainty intrinsic to all linguistic conventions.
In this context, seeking to determine whether legal interpretation can be scientific or, in other words, can comply with the requirements for scientific knowledge, becomes a central question. In fact, the coherent application of the law depends on a knowledge regarding the meaning of normative sentences that can be classified (at least) as being structured, systematically organized and tendentially objective. Accordingly, this book focuses on analyzing precisely these problems; its respective contributions offer a range of revealing perspectives on both the problems and their ramifications.
Legal interpretation Scientific knowledge Legal science Fiction and law Hermeneutics Vagueness Objectivity Legal theory Indeterminacy
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Legal Interpretation and Scientific Knowledge
Pedro Moniz Lopes
Jorge Silva Sampaio
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-18671-5
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Law and Criminology Law and Criminology (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-18670-8
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-18673-9
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-18671-5
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages IX, 251
- Number of Illustrations 3 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Theories of Law, Philosophy of Law, Legal History
Philosophy of Law
Methodology of the Social Sciences
- Buy this book on publisher's site