About this book
This volume has 41 chapters written to honor the 100th birthday of Mario Bunge. It celebrates the work of this influential Argentine/Canadian physicist and philosopher. Contributions show the value of Bunge’s science-informed philosophy and his systematic approach to philosophical problems.
The chapters explore the exceptionally wide spectrum of Bunge’s contributions to: metaphysics, methodology and philosophy of science, philosophy of mathematics, philosophy of physics, philosophy of psychology, philosophy of social science, philosophy of biology, philosophy of technology, moral philosophy, social and political philosophy, medical philosophy, and education. The contributors include scholars from 16 countries.
Bunge combines ontological realism with epistemological fallibilism. He believes that science provides the best and most warranted knowledge of the natural and social world, and that such knowledge is the only sound basis for moral decision making and social and political reform. Bunge argues for the unity of knowledge. In his eyes, science and philosophy constitute a fruitful and necessary partnership. Readers will discover the wisdom of this approach and will gain insight into the utility of cross-disciplinary scholarship. This anthology will appeal to researchers, students, and teachers in philosophy of science, social science, and liberal education programmes.
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Mario Bunge: A Centenary Festschrift
Michael R. Matthews
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-030-16673-1
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Switzerland AG 2019
- Publisher Name Springer, Cham
- eBook Packages Religion and Philosophy Philosophy and Religion (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-3-030-16672-4
- Softcover ISBN 978-3-030-16675-5
- eBook ISBN 978-3-030-16673-1
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXX, 827
- Number of Illustrations 48 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Philosophy of Science
Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, multidisciplinary
History and Philosophical Foundations of Physics
- Buy this book on publisher's site