About this book
For people with severe/profound and multiple disabilities, managing the basic necessities of daily life often poses myriad challenges. Despite great odds, advances in assistive technology are making a difference in these individuals’ lives. Advances in microswitches, voice outcome communication aids, and computer-based systems are creating new opportunities for living independently, improving basic life skills, and reducing problem behaviors among individuals with combined motor, sensory, and intellectual disabilities.
This unique volume examines how education and rehabilitation can improve the lives of even those individuals most affected by severe/profound and multiple disabilities. Interventions currently in use and in experimental stages are surveyed in terms of how they work and their applicability to clients with various needs. In addition, it examines the characteristics of developmentally disabled populations and offers guidelines for choosing suitable technologies. It presents empirical evidence on the advances in improving interaction with caregivers, control of the home environment, handling self-care tasks, and other core skills.
Assistive Technology examines interventions that are innovative, respectful of the dignity of clients, and practical for ongoing use, including:
• Microswitches in habilitation programs.
• Speech-generating devices for communication and social development.
• Instructional technology for promoting academic, work, and leisure skills.
• Assistive technology for promoting ambulation.
• Orientation systems for promoting movement indoors.
• Assistive technology for reducing problem behaviors.
A state-of-the-art guide to a growing field, Assistive Technology is an invaluable resource for researchers, clinicians, graduate students as well as clinicians and allied professionals in developmental psychology, rehabilitation and rehabilitative medicine, learning and instruction, occupational therapy, speech-language pathology, and educational technology.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-1-4614-4229-5
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media New York 2013
- Publisher Name Springer, New York, NY
- eBook Packages Behavioral Science
- Print ISBN 978-1-4614-4228-8
- Online ISBN 978-1-4614-4229-5
- Series Print ISSN 2192-922X
- Series Online ISSN 2192-9238
- About this book