Table of contents
About this book
Parametric cost estimating, when properly used, is a very powerful and cost effective technique. Unfortunately, this technique is often misunderstood and rejected by many potential users for whom it could be a beneficial tool. The development of an agreement on how to use it and how to recognise its limitations is a major benefit to the cost estimating community.
From Product Description to Cost: A Practical Approach:
• presents different ways of parametrically forecasting costs, and the advantages and disadvantages of these methods by using real examples from the mechanical, software and building industries;
• discusses most of the mathematical procedures which are useful for parametrically forecasting costs; and,
• introduces the judgement needed to audit the ways in which these forecasting techniques are used, firstly as a process, and secondly as a tool to generate estimates.
Volume 1: The Parametric Approach contains four parts. Over the course of this volume, cost estimating is introduced; the preparation of data before utilization is discussed; the basic concepts of ‘general’ cost estimating models are examined; the use of cost models is considered and finally, risk analysis (as it can be used during parametric cost estimating) is introduced.
The Decision Engineering series focuses on the foundations and applications of tools and techniques related to decision engineering, and identifies their relevance in ‘engineering’ decisions. The series provides an aid to practising professionals and applied researchers in the development of tools for informed operational and business decision making, within industry, by utilising distributed organisational knowledge.
- Book Title From Product Description to Cost: A Practical Approach
- Book Subtitle Volume 1: The Parametric Approach
- Series Title Decision Engineering
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/1-84628-335-3
- Copyright Information Springer-Verlag London Limited 2006
- Publisher Name Springer, London
- eBook Packages Engineering Engineering (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-1-85233-973-9
- Softcover ISBN 978-1-84996-982-6
- eBook ISBN 978-1-84628-335-2
- Series ISSN 1619-5736
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages XXXII, 296
- Number of Illustrations 0 b/w illustrations, 0 illustrations in colour
Engineering Economics, Organization, Logistics, Marketing
Political Economy/Economic Systems
Operations Research/Decision Theory
Linear and Multilinear Algebras, Matrix Theory
- Buy this book on publisher's site