Table of contents
The q-operator and Pseudovarieties of Relational Morphisms
Part I The q operator and Pseudovarieties of Relational Morphisms
Complexity in Finite Semigroup Theory
Part II Complexity in Finite Semigroup Theory
The Algebraic Lattice of Semigroup Pseudovarieties
Part III The Algebraic Lattice of Semigroup Pseudovarieties
Quantales, Idempotent Semirings, Matrix Algebras and the Triangular Product
Part IV Quantales Idempotent Semirings Matrix Algebras and the Triangular Product
About this book
Discoveries in finite semigroups have influenced several mathematical fields, including theoretical computer science, tropical algebra via matrix theory with coefficients in semirings, and other areas of modern algebra. This comprehensive, encyclopedic text will provide the reader – from the graduate student to the researcher/practitioner – with a detailed understanding of modern finite semigroup theory, focusing in particular on advanced topics on the cutting edge of research.
* Develops q-theory, a new theory that provides a unifying approach to finite semigroup theory via quantization;
* Contains the only contemporary exposition of the complete theory of the complexity of finite semigroups;
* Introduces spectral theory into finite semigroup theory;
* Develops the theory of profinite semigroups from first principles, making connections with spectra of Boolean algebras of regular languages;
* Presents over 70 research problems, most new, and hundreds of exercises.
* For newcomers, an appendix on elementary finite semigroup theory;
* Extensive bibliography and index.
The q-theory of Finite Semigroups presents important techniques and results, many for the first time in book form, and thereby updates and modernizes the literature of semigroup theory.
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/b104443
- Copyright Information Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2009
- Publisher Name Springer, Boston, MA
- eBook Packages Mathematics and Statistics
- Print ISBN 978-0-387-09780-0
- Online ISBN 978-0-387-09781-7
- Series Print ISSN 1439-7382