About this book
This book explores issues shaping and defining modern Bruneian identity. It addresses the research gap regarding Brunei studies in terms of the language, literature, and culture of Brunei which, with its bilingual education, is uniquely positioned at the intersection of the Malay and western worlds.
The book analyses the linguistic, literary, and cultural modes that provide the backdrop for modern-day instantiations of local identity, as expressed through printed and online materials, film, art, and social practices. It compares Brunei English and Brunei Malay in the context of the literature and culture of Brunei.
Readers will find it useful as an essential resource for academic scholars, university students, and others interested in the study of Brunei Darussalam's language, literature, and culture. It provides critical insights from an insiders' perspective into the local identity of the culturally diverse Bruneian society.
Brunei language Brunei literature Brunei culture Malay word and Brunei Modern Brunei Brunei's digital humanities Media studies Brunei's film industry Brunei's Islamic religion Muslim Burmat modern Bruneian identity Brunei Malay and Brunei English Southeast Asian culture
Editors and affiliations
- Book Title Engaging Modern Brunei
- Book Subtitle Research on language, literature, and culture
Hannah Ming Yit Ho
- DOI https://doi.org/10.1007/978-981-33-4721-2
- Copyright Information Springer Nature Singapore Pte Ltd. 2021
- Publisher Name Springer, Singapore
- eBook Packages Literature, Cultural and Media Studies Literature, Cultural and Media Studies (R0)
- Hardcover ISBN 978-981-33-4720-5
- Softcover ISBN 978-981-33-4723-6
- eBook ISBN 978-981-33-4721-2
- Edition Number 1
- Number of Pages X, 277
- Number of Illustrations 16 b/w illustrations, 29 illustrations in colour
Cultural Policy and Politics
- Buy this book on publisher's site